Thanksgiving is one of the happiest times of the year. It’s a holiday where we celebrate everything that brings us joy in this life. Right at the tail end of fall, it’s the perfect time to surround ourselves with autumn colors, incredible food, cinnamon scents and our closest of family and friends. It’s also the signal that Christmas and New Year’s Day is right around the corner.
Every year, families take part in their favorite traditions, whether it’s a classic or one that sprouted on its own. Here is a list of our top ten favorite Thanksgiving Day traditions you’ve got to try at least once!
- Watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- Watch “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving” with the whole family.
- Give a prayer of thanks together with friends and family. Even if you are not religious, it’s a great way to bring everyone together around the table and remember all the wonderful things that have happened throughout the year.
- Cook a traditional Thanksgiving Day feast – turkey, stuffing, potatoes, pumpkin pie… the whole nine yards! It’s a lot of hard work, but nothing beats a hearty home-cooked meal.
- Re-enact a traditional Thanksgiving feast in costume as pilgrims and natives.
- Attend a Thanksgiving themed local play – a great way to be a part of your community and to remember the history of Thanksgiving.
- Create a “Thankful Tree” and have everyone write on leaf-shaped papers what they are grateful for.
- Do a Thanksgiving Day craft like a handprint turkey that you can keep to track how much your children have grown throughout the years.
- Write on the Thanksgiving dinner table cloth. Every family member and dinner guest writes something that they are thankful for on the table cloth and you can use it every year until it is full.
- Break the wishbone! Whoever ends up with the bigger piece get to make a wish!
But the fun doesn’t end there! After you’ve filled your bellies with delicious food and have parted ways from family and friends, grab your wallets and keys and head out the door for some Black Friday deals! What better way to seal the deal on the Thanksgiving holiday than with a carful of low-priced merchandise.
This Thanksgiving, we encourage everyone to take part in these great traditions, or better yet, come up with a few of your own! If you have a Thanksgiving Day tradition that you’d like to share, please leave a comment below. For more Thanksgiving Day ideas, visit our Turkey Day Pinterest board
and browse through our Thanksgiving Day costumes
. Gobble, gobble everyone!